Frustration in Marriage and the Affair

Portrait Of Frustrated Couple Sitting On Couch Quarreling With Each Other

A tremendous amount of frustration and resentment builds in your marriage when you believe you must squelch yourself and spend inordinate time and energy going that extra mile to meet the personal needs of your spouse.

Resentment emerges as you begin to expect reciprocity. “I’ve met your needs; now when are you going to do the same for me?” An internal scorecard emerges and the game playing begins. Intimacy, knowing and being know, flies out the marital window.

You feel the frustration because, from your point of view you have attempted to meet his/her needs, and yet s/he says, “Not enough! Nope, that wasn’t quite right! I need more! Do it again! Etc.

Type in your comments below. Has the frustration and resentment been a trigger for the “Revenge Affair?”

This entry was posted in Emotional Distance, Infidelity and Intimacy, Rebuilding the Marriage or Relationship, Relationship Communication, Relationships: Marriage and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Frustration in Marriage and the Affair

1. Diane says:

I believe this is true in our marriage. It creates an atmosphere of tension as the veiled anger and resentment seeps out around the edges from the spouse who keeps tally. It is not an atmosphere in which growth can occur in either spouse, and it will certainly not inspire the one who is perceived as not doing enough. It will likely chip away at his/her self esteem, leading to the exact opposite outcome of the original intentions for positive growth. It is stifling.

2. Angelica Grado says:

That so happens to me… he in somewhat apply withyour needs… clothing.. hygiene products food on table… above all that I have cheated… not once several.. so he goes off on my infidelity and humiliate me…

3. Jim says:

I just feel like she uses behaviors, such as my drinking, as her excuse for her affair. I haven’t drank in like 7 years and 6 years after I stopped drinking she has an affair and uses that as her crutch. I think she’s holding a grudge then and the affair is the revenge. Otherwise I corrected issue she had so why did she cheat way after I stopped. She always says I put up with your alcoholism for years.

4. Clay says:

Thank you Dr. Huizenga. Your messages/points have been appropriate and helpful. I’m responding now specifically because of your “Your Spouse is Not Your Enemy” video, which coincidentally (or not) I just received from you right after my wife had told me why she left me. Your video alludes to the main reason why she fooled around on and left me. She says that she had been trying to “make me happy” and eventually realized my needs couldn’t be met by her. I, by contrast, never expected her to meet my needs. Nobody can make anyone else happy. I just wanted her to comfort me, which she did. She’s an amazing woman. I love her so much and miss her so much. Anyway, thank you. I will draw her attention to your video, which I hope she listens to. It’s so appropriate in our case. She was definitely “Daddy’s little girl” growing up. Thanks so much for your insights. The ironic thing is that she left me “to find (her)self,” but I’m the one who’s found the joy I’ve been looking for my whole life. That weekend, six months ago, she defended the other guy and my heart seemed like it was being ripped out. I had no option but to entirely surrender to God, and God instantly stepped in to catch me. It was an indescribable feeling, finding joy amid such heartache. I want that joy for my wife; I have always wanted her to be happy. No marriage can succeed if you don’t want the best for your spouse. Thank you, again. … Clay

5. Carmen says:

Thank you Dr. Huizenga. All the emails I received from you first thing in the morning helped me in my healing after my husbands affair 2 years ago. It was such a struggle to “make him” see my point of view and see what he did to our family. The ironic thing is, I didn’t HAVE to make him see anything, he already saw it, the view was hidden deep within him but he dug it out, eventually! They key was to let HIM dig for it! I used your methods and to my unbelief, it worked! 2 years later we have the best marriage we could of hoped for. Our communication is superb, the time we spend together is Intentional and without interruptions with electronics, we make love more and guess what, the OW still works in the same building! TRUST needs to be rebuilt, and it was. It took some time, a long time but he certainly earned it and till this very day assures me of his commitment to our marriage. One thing too, I also took responsibility of MY lack of being a good and attentive wife (NOT SAYING WHAT HE DID WAS JUSTIFIED bc OF THAT) but after 21 years of marriage and three boys my alignment of our Marriage was all off! I still have “triggers” till this day, but with God’s help I overcome them and my husband helps me through them, lovingly! LIVE in the PRESENT, not the past. It doesn’t help to keep reliving what happened, push forward and most importantly, love yourself! These are the things I have learned from listening to you and reading your emails! THANK YOU

6. Janelle says:

Thank you for this! I am struggling with resentment,anger, hurt, trust issues etc.., my husband had an affair last year for 8 months straight, I stayed for the sake if our children, but sometimes I wonder if its doing more harm than good, I’m misersble… I’ve tried my hardest, the best I know how to forgive and meet his needs in every way shape and form, however I feel like he could care less about meeting Any of my needs…it’s just very hard to keep smile on my face for my children, pretending to happy is exhausting…and my kids are very receptive, they know something is going on…I need to find peace with everything so I can move past this and be the Mom and Wife I want to be.