What am I Willing to Tolerate and For How Long?

Unhappy couple having an argument in the kitchen at home

This question emerges when one is in the process of deciding whether to stay or go.

Or, is uncertain about the reconciliation or healing process.

Dr. Huizenga gives a 4 step process in defining what it is you are tolerating and how to rid your self and relationship of those tolerations.

This entry was posted in Dr. Huizenga's Blog Posts, Emotional Distance, Emotional Infidelity, Infidelity Coaching, Infidelity Marriage, Infidelity Pain, Surviving Infidelity, Surviving Infidelity Videos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What am I Willing to Tolerate and For How Long?

1. Robert says:

To me, your tolerance video is a game changer for your credibility. I have always admired that you come from a position of trying to save a marriage. If one is to err, saving marriage is better than giving up too soon. Looking inward is better than blame to get to higher power and ground.

However, I stopped reading your articles a while ago because I felt your position was way more about self blame and patience more than stronger boundaries and asking for accountability of the one cheating. I felt as though you gave far more empathy to the cheater than the one cheated on.

Yes, you occasionally referenced looking for where tolerance was too much. But, would slip into way more empathy for the cheater. A 50-50 approach is probably about right. I appreciate your shift. I think it allows those of us who were cheated on to trust our selves better – even though we also must reflect on our contribution to infidelity.

• Faithful says:

I appreciate your comments and hope that you are finding yourself in a good place after your pain. I have to take issue on the last comment.
      The betrayed spouse has NO contribution to the infidelity.
      That statement alone adds burden of blame to the hurt spouse.
      Understanding that there may have been issues within a marriage is one thing. Believing that the hurt spouse had ANY contribution of the infidelity is something else and it is wrong unless you forced them to do it.
      God Bless and prayers for your continued healing and growth.

• Margita heggie says:

Dear faithful
        I believe that you may be missing a very crucial point in saying that the cheated on spouse should NOT accept ANY blame in creating a situation that has found them cheated on …. very likely a pattern that has plagued them. How is that explained?
        I have a very difficult time believing that the cheating spouse is the ONLY contributor to the circumstances that created this hot bed mess!
        Why was the cheating spouse so unhappy as to look elsewhere for even emotional support? Physical intimacy? Escape?
        The only reason I ask those questions is because we all KNOW it takes two to tango!

I am not the cheating spouse in my situation however I do accept that my actions had cause my cheating spouse to feel isolated from emotional support and it was very stormy in our home very often and for his free spirit it cause a lot of distress and neediness and he went elsewhere for what I SHOULD have been providing

He does not use ANY of my accountability as excuses he accepts his own actions faulty and flawed for stepping out on me, partially for creating a home situation that upset me so much and not communicating with me his anxieties to deepening the issues and running from them out of fear of rocking the boat more and finally for the infidelity in whole as his own.

I definitely had my part to play, in our situation, that assisted in creating the infidelity.

Sincerely yours
        Prayers and love

• Franco Aquino Oropesa says:

to margita heggie,
          you are totally wrong on this one. the cheated spouse has no fault in the cheating spouse infidelity.
          Yes the cheated spouse may have some short comings in the relation but it has nothing to do with the infidelity of the cheating spouse.
          the cheating spouse could have done a lot of things to improve his/her unsatisfaction in the relationship. He/she could have talked with the cheated spouse to resolve their problems, go to counseling alone or together, worst case is to leave the relationship and file divorce. he/she could have done a thousand other thing, but instead he/she decided on his/her own to cheat on his/her spouse. he/she alone made that decision, so he/she alone should be responsible for the infidelity.
          for example, prior to my wife cheating, we were both unhappy in our relationship, i was not meeting all her needs, she was also not meeting all of my needs. i tried to talk and reason with her. she on the other hand, decided to cheat. so i don’t think i should carry some of the blame for her own decision.
          best regards
          fao

• Hurting Spouse says:

I agree with Faithful!! Unless you are also cheating, how do you contribute to their infidelity?? A cheater chooses to cheat, the hurt spouse had nothing to do with that. If the cheater felt there were issues in the marriage, they should have brought it up, and both spouses could have worked on it. The cheater has more of a problem than the marriage EVER did, and the cheater needs help to fix themselves, going into a different relationship isn’t going to fix them or the problems they thought they saw. In the end they’ll continue to cheat because the problems they had will always be there until they face them.

2. Melissa says:

Instead of jockeying over who is hurt “most”, Use this opportunity for a huge grown experience. When you end up eventually seeing the bigger picture, you see that BOTH people make the marriage what it is. Labeling yourself a hapless victim is what kills your spirit, not what someone else thinks of you, or who isn’t doing what you want them to. You can become a bigger person.

• Andrew says:

Yes, there is definatly a bigger picture in the end. If two people are having a war between each other, that still holds each other accountable for what has happend. However, infidelity is a nucular bomb NO body deserves that and destroys any relationship totally. But even then, yes there is still a bigger picture. No muling over who’s to blame, it is plane just wrong.

3. Tu says:

There is a huge difference in a marriage that is dry, boring compared to one which is abusive or dysfunctional.
    Did anyone here consider the fact that we all bring baggage, however, the person who cheats oftentimes never gave their spouse a clue that they had brokenness in their past. So, these people gather false evidence and use every small infraction as proof that their mate doesn’t love them.
    They don’t love themselves, so how can they feel lovable much less believe they are worthy of a good person?
    So, they cheat. They cheat and blame the unsuspecting spouse who may have been one of the few people in their lives that saw good in them!
    The cheater is a wounded child striking out at imaginary hurts and slights that others barely notice or recall.
    This person will continue the self destructive pattern until the destroy everyone who even tries to love them.
    Sad.
    They are the perpetrators, but see themselves as the victims of their spouse and the world. Run. Away. They rarely want help because they will have to face the pain of their childhood trauma and on top of that, the pain they’ve caused Innocent people.
    Marriage is a wonderful institution from God and I’ll always believe that. It’s selfish people who aren’t willing to do Their share. They will allow their mate to work themselves into a frenzy and their children fall by the wayside to protect whom they love most –Their Wounded Child.
    Marriage isn’t valued by God over the sanity of the individual. God has a plan that the marriage could fulfill for each person, but when it is destructive and dysfunctional and one person is suffering needlessly for the sake of marriage–then it’s a mockery.
    Some partners refuse therapy or attend therapy to hold their partners in place. That’s cruelty at its highest level.
    I believe in separating to see if change will come, and if that person isn’t willing to do their part to have a real marriage–then divorce is the only option left.
    Staying and making the children suffer in a quiet, angry house or a loud, explosive house isn’t doing them any good.
    They stop believing in God and marriage and love. That’s a tragedy.
    If you’re not going to try, why stay together and lie? The kids aren’t impressed and neither is God. We Are to be truthful in All Things.

• Andrew says:

So very very very true! I couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Lisa says:

Oh my goodness, you’ve literally said everything I feel with my H. We never had blowout fights or really bad situations.. his problem is that I didn’t show love and affection as much as I should’ve. Now he’s using anything bad I’ve ever said in the relationship as an excuse as to why he was unhappy even though some things were way in the past and he never let me know at the time. He’s not only pushing me away but people in his life that don’t agree with what he’s doing. I don’t think anyone is necessarily pushing him to be with me, but I know they are asking to think twice about how he’s doing things. And when he doesn’t want to hear what they have to say, he ignores them. He says he has no one to truly confide in but I think it’s just because he doesn’t want to hear the truth from those he would talk to. We are separated now even though the OW is in the picture, I still feel this is the best way to go since he can’t yet give her up. It’s just so heartbreaking because I feel we did make a promise under God and now he just ignores that fact.

• Simon says:

I’m not a religious person; however “Tu” you’ve said it beautifully! My wife fits this description herself and really all her siblings too. They’re all still wounded children from an abusive upbringing but that does not give them the excuse to destroy other lives especially those of their children. 3 out of 4 have had affairs. 1 already divorced and mine might well be next. I’ve managed to get my wife to go to an EMDR couples therapy session tomorrow so let’s see if that will kick-start the healing and acceptance to change.